If I had a stroke 2 months ago but have now been cleared to return to work, can my employer refuse to let me come back stating that I’m a liability?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a stroke 2 months ago but have now been cleared to return to work, can my employer refuse to let me come back stating that I’m a liability?

I had a stroke which left me unable to work for awhile. I have now been cleared by the doctor to return back to work but my employer refuses to allow me to return. They have a home office and she says I am a liability so she won’t allow me to come in. They are moving to a regular office building (already 6 weeks behind schedule with an uncertain move date-at least 3 weeks) and she will only allow me to work from home part-time (15-20 hours paid hourly instead of my salary) until then. Can she legally do that? Do I have any recourse?

Asked on October 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this IF it is plausible or reasonable that your stroke creates some possible liability risk and/or that their home office is not set up for someone with whatever residual limitations or disabilities you have. For example, say that you have some mobility issues and the home office is not fully handicapped accessible; they do not have to either accept the risk that you will fall and injure yourself or go to the expense of making the home handicapped accessible. The law doesn't require employers to expose themselves to liability or unreasonable costs or disruption.
If you do not have residual issues, this may be illegal disability-based discrimination, and you may have a claim for the difference in earnings you've lost (say that you lose 3 months of full time work and instead had 3 months of 15 -20 hours per week; say that your salary is $48k per year, or $4k per month, whereas on an hourly basis, you are earning $20/hour for 20 hours/week, or $1,600 per month; you potentially could recover $2,400/month for 3 months, or $7,200, approximately).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption