If my 19 year old college freshman got caught stealing clothes from a department store, should I hire an attorney or should she accept a court appointed attorney?

UPDATED: May 9, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 9, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 19 year old college freshman got caught stealing clothes from a department store, should I hire an attorney or should she accept a court appointed attorney?

She regretfully realizes she committed an illegal act but did not realize magnitude of consequences. She’s a really good kid, never been in trouble before, did a bad thing. I don’t want her life destroyed by even a misdemeanor conviction but I don’t know if that will be remotely possible. What can be done to look good to the judge (job, school, etc.)? Also, is it possible to avoid conviction of misdemeanor by doing community service and/or paying a hefty fine?

Asked on May 9, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The charge in this case is most likely a misdemeanor, a criminal offense. And any time a person is facing such a charge, they should retain legal representation. An experienced criminal attorney might be able to get the charge thrown out on a technicality, get it reduced to a lesser charge or win an acquittal. The fact is that a criminal record can have liftetime consequences; among other things it can effect employment, professional licenses and student loans.

As for hiring a lawyer or getting one appointed by the court, the defendant must be income eligible for the latter and I don't know what your daughter's financial position is. If you do need/want to retain private representation, you should retain an attorney who practices in the area of where all of this occurred. They can use their contacts at the local court to your daughter's best advantage. In fact, if she has an otherwise clean criminal record, she will probably qualify for a first-time offenders program. If so, upon successful completion, she should be left without any criminal history record. Again, speak to a lawyer concerning her situation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption