19 year old first offense was arrested for possession of 1 ounce of marijuana with intent to sell and obstruction of public highway.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

19 year old first offense was arrested for possession of 1 ounce of marijuana with intent to sell and obstruction of public highway.

What will sentencing be if charged for first offense marijuana possession with intent to sell?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In Tennessee, possession with intent to sell is a felony; the class of felony depends on the weight of the marijuana involved.  In your case it would be a Class E since it was between .5 oz to 10 lbs. The penalty is 1-6 years in prison and up to a $5,000 fine.  However, with your being a first time offender you might be eligible for something called "diversion".  This would give you probation, and assuming you fullfill all probationary terms, you could be left with a clean criminal record. 

However, I am not licensed in Tennessee.  You need to speak to a criminal attorney in the area where all of this happened.  He will know people in the prosecutor's office and hopefully can work out something along the lines of diversion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption