What can I do to protect myself from an old business partner who wants defame me?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to protect myself from an old business partner who wants defame me?

Can text messages be used as evidence in a court of law? Recently my business (student academy) played a now 5 day old prank on me that my laptop was stolen; he may still have it. Due to this “prank” I split ties with him and decided not to work for him. I told him I would not work the agreed Sundays for summer but he still owes me camp money along with other valuables such as chairs and clocks left at the academy. He has a video of me gently pushing a child in a lesson for which he says he hopes I will go to jail. In texts he threatened me physically and to tell parents I am a pot smoker even though we smoked together in past – 100% clean now.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written there seems to be a situation with your former business partner warranting a restraining order due to the perceived harassment that you are receiving of late. I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of business relations to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption