How to answer a job application regarding criminal offenses ifI went through an alternative sentencing program?

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to answer a job application regarding criminal offenses ifI went through an alternative sentencing program?

I was arrested for DUI on 01/10. It was a 1st offense and I went through the ARD program. I am now applying for jobs and looking for apartments. Applications are asking if I have ever been convicted of crime, pled guilty, or no contest to crime. I thought this was expunged off record as soon as I completed ARD. Is this true? If so, does that mean I do not have to answer yes to these questions?

Asked on February 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Offenders have their DUI expunged  (ie cleared) from their criminal record once they complete the ARD program.  This means that you can truthfully answer "no" if asked about a criminal conviction, etc.  It will appear to the general public as though you never got in trouble.  However, the courts and law enforcement will still be able to see your record and it will affect you if you ever get charged with another criminal offense.  While this process should be automatic, sometimes this does not occur.  So you should make sure that your DUI was actually expunged before applying for a job.  The way to do this is to run a check of your criminal history.  You can contact a local police department for details or the State Police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption