Can I sue on an auto accident in small claims court?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue on an auto accident in small claims court?

My daughter pulled out of a shopping center to make a left turn onto a divided roadway after a stopped car on her left waived her out. She cleared left and right and pulled out but a truck from the right cut her off forcing a stop and turned in front of her passing on the left of her car. Just after that car cleared another car had pulled out of the line of traffic on her left and tried to pass in front of her sideswiping the front of her car left to right and kept going and left the scene. His insurance said it was her fault for pulling out when she could not complete the turn. Our defense is things changed rapidly. However, he made an unsafe pass. Are we right?

Asked on September 12, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not right.  Just because some idiot waived your daughter out when she otherwise could not complete the turn due to traffic in the area is not an excuse to do so.  People who attempt to "waive" people out in the manner should be cited when accidents result, in my opinion, but they are not.  It is the person who pulls out when doing so is unsafe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption