with a homeowners policy my son had an accident on the golf course; the wheel alingment on the cart needs repair.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from NULL, NULL

Asked on 10/03/2011

with a homeowners policy my son had an accident on the golf course; the wheel alingment on the cart needs repair. if the accident damaged the wheel alignment of the golf cart can i file a claim on my homeowners policy to pay for the damages . what impact does this claim have on the cost of my homeowner policy.

Answer given on October 09, 2011

The homeowner policy covers you if you cause damage or injury to another person or property due to negligence by you or a family member in the household. If your son had an accident invovling a golf cart, and was responsible for the accident, then your homeowner policy should respond, presuming this was not an intentional act.This type of loss would come under the personal liability section of the policy. There is no deductible. There is a portion of the policy that covers up to $500 (amount can vary by state) for damage to property of others. This is the area where your policy would respond. You should contact your agent or company to file a claim. The adjuster will want to speak with your son to take his statement and they will contact the owner of the golf cart to arrange a settlement. This may or may not affect your rates. You should determine this before deciding to report the claim. It may be less expensive for you to pay for the repairs yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption