Will my insurance cover the cost to insulate an exterior wall that did not previously have insulation?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from San Diego, CA

Asked on 06/05/2018

Will my insurance cover the cost to insulate an exterior wall that did not previously have insulation? My house was damaged by water. Several rooms had to have drywall removed. The general contractor said that we would have to insulate, it’s illegal for him not to. The house did not previously have insulation. Does the insurance cover this extra cost? While they are only obligated to bring it back to the way it was before, we can’t do that without having the contractor violate his license. Would that addition be covered?

Answer given on June 20, 2018

When a home is damaged and there is insurance coverage for the damage, most homeowner policies have a provision in the policy to pay for some building code upgrades that are required during the repair process.  Contact your insurance agent or company and ask what amount of coverage is provided under your policy for building code upgrades. If they need more information before they will pay for the upgrades have them speak with your contractor, and maybe your town or city.  They would have the rules for building and/or repairing a home and the required upgrades.

The policy won’t pay for upgrades you request, but they do cover building code changes and it is a part of the homeowner insurance policy. Sometimes it is a percentage of the amount of insurance on the home-such as 10% or 15% or more. Others are a flat dollar amount, but either way, you should have coverage for this added cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption