will my homeowners policy coverage the medical bills for a friend I had invited to a party who was assaulted by another friend I invited to the party

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Philadelphia, PA

Asked on 07/11/2012

will my homeowners policy coverage the medical bills for a friend I had invited to a party who was assaulted by another friend I invited to the party NULL

Answer given on July 16, 2012

Homeowner insurance includes liability coverage for you if you are considered legally liable for injuries that occur at your residence. If you were having a party and someone was hurt, and you were responsible, then your insurance will defend you and pay any settlement determined, up to your policy limits.If your friend assualted another person at your residence, then you may or may not be resposible. If the friend was intoxicated and you provided the alcohol, then you could be considered responsible. However, if there was just an altercation between the two parties, then you may not be responsible. The friend who caused the injuries may have to file a claim with his insurance company for the injuries. However, most policies exclude intentional acts, so his insurance would not respond for his defense.If the injured friend claims you are responsible, then you should file a claim with your insurance company. They will investigate and determine if there is a valid claim or not. Even if they deny the claim, if the other party files a suit, then your insurance company will defend you in court and if you are found liable, they will pay the amount determined in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption