Will my homeowners liability policy cover this loss?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Glendale, CA

Asked on 02/10/2014

Will my homeowners liability policy cover this loss? My son borrowed his friend's laptop and brought it to our house. He accidently spilled water on the laptop and now it is not working.

Answer given on February 11, 2014

The homeowner policy provides limited coverage to property of others. This is usually a limit of $500, with no deductible. However, the insurance company may want to handle this as a personal property claim. If that is the case, then there would be no coverage for the laptop, since personal property is covered on a “named perils” basis. This means that the damage must be in the list of named perils in the policy, and this type of damage is not one of those perils. In addition, the deductible for your homeowner policy would apply.Ask your agent or company if you can claim this under damage to property of others. Keep in mind that this will be considered a claim on your policy, and you could lose any claim free discount that you have. Make sure it is worth giving up this discount to pay for the laptop. It may be better to simply pay to replace or repair the laptop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption