will i have to pay anything out of pocket. i backed into another vehicle which broke the headlight and put a small dent in hood, no damage to my truck

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mindenmines, MO

Asked on 12/30/2015

will i have to pay anything out of pocket. i backed into another vehicle which broke the headlight and put a small dent in hood, no damage to my truck i have full coverage with $1000 deductible, i am not certain of other persons ins status or if he has a valid license. i offered to pay him, but he refused and turned it into insurance.

Answer given on January 02, 2016

If you caused an accident that damaged another person’s vehicle, then your insurance company will pay for the damages to that vehicle. There is no deductible on your policy for these damages. If there was no damage to your vehicle, then your insurance company will close the claim once the damage to the other vehicle is repaired. It does not matter if the other vehicle had insurance, whether he had a license or not or if the driver was insured or not. You are still responsible for the damages to his vehicle.If the damages are over a certain limit, your insurance rates could go up. Usually the amount is somewhere between $750 and $1,000. It varies by insurance company. You can ask your agent about this, but you really have little control over what is paid. Your insurance company will not pay more than the going rate for the repairs to the other vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption