Will homeowners insurance cover replacing the electrical service panel in my home due to water seepage through the electric service cable

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Churchville, PA

Asked on 11/12/2010

Will homeowners insurance cover replacing the electrical service panel in my home due to water seepage through the electric service cable I lose half the electric to my house due to water seepage through the service cable whenever it rains and blows on the side of the house where the cable enters my home. There is rust that has formed on the bottom of the panel. This issue was described to me by a licensed electrician who indicates that this a common problem.

Answer given on November 12, 2010

Unfortunately, I don’t think you will have coverage for the damage to your electrical system.  The homeowner policy covers for “sudden and accidental” damage to the home.  From your description of the situation it sounds like an ongoing problem.

I do recommend that you talk to your insurance agent.  They cannot refuse to file the claim on your behalf, but they may be able to advise you if you will lose any discounts for reporting this claim.  I ‘m sure you wouldn’t want to lose a discount for a claim that will most likely be denied.

If the electrical problem caused other damage to your home, there could be coverage, unless it developed over time.  If the latest storm caused the loss of electricity and damage to appliances or the like, there could be coverage.  Again discuss this all with your agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption