What Variables Will Affect My Insurance Premium?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Purchasers of insurance often can control several factors used to determine the insurance premium. Some of these factors, which act as limitations of the insurance coverage, include:

•tDeductibles – The amount you yourself have to pay out-of-pocket before reimbursement of your expenses from the insurance coverage. It is usually a flat dollar amount. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium.

•tCo-payments and co-insurance – for example, in a 80/20 plan, the insurance pays 80% of the covered expense and you pay out-of-pocket the remaining 20%. Most plans with a co-pay have a maximum, out-of-pocket, cost.

•tLifetime maximums – the maximum amount of insurance coverage that will be paid on your behalf during your lifetime. The higher the maximum, the more coverage is potentially available under the insurance coverage.

•tAnnual or “out-of-pocket” limits – the maximum amount of deductible and co-payments you will have to pay each year. The lower the annual limit, the higher the premium.

•tCoordination of Benefits – some insurance companies now offer insurance plans which recognize the fact that other insurance may be available to you, such as coverages under worker’s compensation, automobile insurance, a state disability program, or from coverage available as an employee benefit to a spouse. This provision specifies how multiple coverages will coordinate their payments.

•tRenewability/Cancellation – some insurance companies offer health insurance on a guaranteed renewable basis or with a non-cancellation provision (meaning that the insurance company may only cancel coverage in the event of non-payment of premium). Expect there to be an added cost for these features.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption