We leased a car in Fl. for our daughter. She is now married and living in Pa. Will our insurance in Florida continue to cover her?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Sarasota, FL

Asked on 10/13/2011

We leased a car in Fl. for our daughter. She is now married and living in Pa. Will our insurance in Florida continue to cover her? NULL

Answer given on October 14, 2011

Car insurance should be written in the state where the car is garaged. If your daughter is living permanently in Pa you should purchase a policy in Pa.If the car is leased in your name, then the policy should be in your name, but you should list your daughter, and her husband if he drives the car, as operators.You may want to consider retitling the car to your daughter and her husband. If the car remains in your name, it is your liability being exposed in the event of a major accident. Since you do not live in the same state, you have little to no control over who drives the car. You would need to work any title change out with the leasing company, but they may be willing to allow the change if you continue to make the lease payments. If your daughter and her husband own another car they may receive discounts for having multiple cars, plus if they own a home a multi line discount. Have them talk to their insurance agent about these discounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption