Vehicle next to mine catches fire and damages my vehicle.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Clarksville, TN

Asked on 01/07/2013

Vehicle next to mine catches fire and damages my vehicle. My vehicle was sitting next to an SUV that caught fire and the fire damaged the passenger side of my truck. The other person's insurance company is saying that unless they can find that either he caused the fire or there was a manufacturer's defect that I am basically on my own for my damages and that they will not cover my damages. How can this be?

Answer given on January 15, 2013

Auto insurance for a driver protects them from liability if they cause an accident or damage to another vehicle. If the other driver’s car caught fire through no fault of the driver, they are not legally liable for the damages to your car. While this may seem unfair, it is similar to a tree falling on a car. The property owner was not responsible for the damages that were caused.Your auto insurance should cover the damage to your car under the comprehensive portion of the policy. The deductible will apply for the damages, but usually the deductible for comprehensive is lower than that for collision. Call your insurance company and file a claim for the damages. This will not affect your rates. The insurance company will determine the amount of damage to your car and will arrange for repairs with a body shop that you approve of. Again your deductible will apply.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption