Uninsured driver using a car that is insured by the car owner

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Brooksburg, IN

Asked on 11/19/2018

Uninsured driver using a car that is insured by the car owner If someone loans their car to a person who is not insured and an accident occurs, is the owner of the car liable?

Answer given on December 16, 2018

In auto insurance the insurance follows the car.  In this case, your car insurance should protect you if a permissive user was involved in an accident that was their fault.  However, if you have a restricted auto policy that only covers drivers that are listed on the policy, and this person is not one of them, your insurance policy will deny coverage.

If you have a standard auto policy then you need to report the claim to your insurance company. If another person was involved in the accident your insurance company should review and pay for any damages or injuries caused in the accident. If you have collision coverage on your car, and it was damaged, you will be reimbursed, less your deductible.  If the driver of your car does not live with you, and has a valid license, then your insurance rates should not be affected for this accident. Some insurance companies do make a small charge for non fault accidents, but most do not. Your insurance company may ask that the driver in question be added to your policy if they do not have their own insurance, or could ask to exclude them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption