uninsured borrower

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Malden, MA

Asked on 10/25/2012

uninsured borrower my brother-in law asked if I could insure his car for him under my policy but doesn't have a valid drivers licences.Will my insurence stil cover any inccident if he does get into a accedent?

Answer given on October 27, 2012

Auto insurance is intended to insure a car that is registered to you. If your brother-in-law has title to the car, he needs to insure it. He can insure it even if he does not have a driver’s license. However, a licensed driver needs to be listed on the auto insurance policy for an insurance company to be willing to write the insurance. He may be excluded from the policy since he does not have a license.If you insure the car and allow your brother-in-law to drive the vehicle, you will not be covered once the insurance company learns that he is not licensed to drive. If there is a major accident, and it is caused by another driver, there probably will not be coverage for the car, since you don’t own it, and don’t have an insurable interest in the car. Your brother-in-law would be legally responsible for the accident and would not have the proper insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption