two insurance companies billing me monthly even tho my husband canceled the prior policy

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Rochester, MI

Asked on 02/29/2012

two insurance companies billing me monthly even tho my husband canceled the prior policy my husband can't get the prior company to stop billing him - even though he has called them several times and they say they canceled it he just got another bill - this company is taking automatic payments out of his bank account - so he has paid the new company for 6 months and his prior company keeps billing him - how to get them to stop and refund the money that took. ?

Answer given on March 03, 2012

If you have notified the old insurance company to cancel your policy and they continue to bill you, you need to take action to stop this. The first thing you should do is tell your bank not to allow the payments to be withdrawn from your account. Then you should get a copy of your new insurance policy and send it to your old agent or insurance company showing the date of the replacement insurance. If possible, fax this information to the appropriate party and ask them to acknowledge, in writing, that they have received it. Then work on getting any money returned from the insurance company based on the information you have provided.When you call the insurance company, get a name of someone that you speak to, so you can document the conversation. Also, ask for a supervisor to see if they can resolve this issue quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption