truck was broken into and personal property was stolen and insurance company says personal property is not covered. is this true?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from San Angelo, TX

Asked on 03/21/2012

truck was broken into and personal property was stolen and insurance company says personal property is not covered. is this true? NULL

Answer given on March 22, 2012

Automobile insurance covers the car and equipment that is permanently installed in the vehicle. Some policies also will add coverage for aftermarket equipment installed in the car, even if it is not permanently installed. Unfortunately, many people do not understand that personal property in the car is not covered by the auto insurance. That is why it is always best not to leave any personal property in the car while it is unoccupied. If you must, be sure to put it in a trunk or hidden somewhere in the vehicle.If you car is broken into and personal property is stolen, then your homeowner or renters insurance will cover that property, subject to the deductible for that homeowner or renters insurance. You should contact your homeowner insurance agent to file a claim if the property taken was more than the deductible on your policy. However, you could lose a claim free discount, so make sure you will get enough of a settlement for the property stolen to offset the loss of the claim free discount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption