This is in regards to who can be held responsible in subrogation?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Astatula, FL

Asked on 07/16/2012

This is in regards to who can be held responsible in subrogation? My father and I are listed on the title of a car that my son was driving when he caused an accident. The other parties insurance company sent a letter of subrogation to my father, not myself or my son, first in the amount of $1400. Then after my dad spoke with them, he gets a second letter saying it is $2800 and they have not sent any such letter to myself or son, who again was the driver. Of course, my dad wants to pay this, how do I make sure after it is paid the insurance company does not come after my son or myself for more money. And as an owner only, should my dad pay at all?

Answer given on July 19, 2012

Auto insurance for a vehicle in an accident follows the car. You did not indicate if the car was insured, but presuming it was, then the insurance for that car should respond for the damages caused by your son.The other insurance company is pursuing the registered owner of the car, which in this case includes your father. Since they were able to contact him, they have pursued reimbursement from him. You need to report this incident to your insurance company, if you have not already done so. Your insurance company will respond to the other insurance company regarding the damages they are seeking. Tell the other insurance company who your insurance company is and they will then contact them and leave your father and you alone.If you have already reported the accident, tell the other insurance company that your insurance company is handling this claim. If you have the claim number, provide the other insurance company with that information and ask them to contact your company and leave you alone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption