Stolen items from vehicle?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Marshall, MO

Asked on 03/27/2012

Stolen items from vehicle? The vehicle I drive is in my parent's name; it was broken into this past weekend-I live in a different city where I go to school; the car was parked on the street, but still outside my rental house; does my parent's homeowner's insurance cover the stolen property (laptop,e tc) since the car is in their name?

Answer given on April 05, 2012

If you are a student away at school but still a resident of your parent’s household you would be covered for losses in the auto and for personal property. The deductible your parents have on their homeowner policy will apply to your loss. The auto insurance will only pay for the damages to the car, the homeowner insurance will pay for lost or stolen items from the car.If your parents file a claim for your personal property the claim could affect their rates as homeowner policies usually give a claim free discount. Make sure that the amount that you can collect for your personal items is high enough to warrant the possible loss of the claim free discount.If you live on your own then your loss probably will not be covered by your parent’s insurance. It makes no difference who owns the car. You should have renters insurance for your personal property and then you would be covered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption