Rear ended another car. No damage to other car who inspected and drove away. Can i file claim on my car?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cordova, TN

Asked on 10/18/2016

Rear ended another car. No damage to other car who inspected and drove away. Can i file claim on my car? I rear ended at low speed another car. The driver and I got out and we saw that there wasn't any damage and he drove away saying there was no need to call a cop. I was at fault in the incident and noticed after a few minutes that my light had been smashed and needed repairs. Can I file a claim with my insurance company and get it repaired after paying my deductible? Or will they refuse because i didnt exchange insurance info with other motorist? Thanks

Answer given on October 20, 2016

If you had an auto accident and the only damage was to your car, you can file a claim under your auto insurance policy. It is not necessary to get information on the other driver or to call the police to file a police report. Since the other driver left without exchanging information it is unlikely he will come back to try to claim damage or injuries.As you mentioned, the deductible will apply before your company will pay anything. However, if the damage is over a certain amount, usually around $750, your insurance rates can increase for the accident.You may be better off to get an estimate for the damages to your car and see if you want to file the claim. If you are not going to receive a majority of the cost of the damage, it will be in your best interests to pay for the damages yourself and not file the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption