Premera Blue Cross

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Company Details
Address: 7001-220th Street S.W., Building 2, M.S. 222
City: Mountlake Terrace
State: WA
ZIP Code: 98043-2124
Phone Number: 425-918-4000
AM Best Rating: 60076
Lines of Insurance: health
States Licensed To Sell Insurance In: AK, WA
Type of Insurance Company: Blue Cross
Parent Company: Premera
Top executive Contact: Herbert R. B. Barlow
Title of Top executive: President and CEO
Assets & Premiums: Premera had total assets of $1.9 billion at the end of 2006 and revenues of $3.0 billion for the year.
Company Rating 1.62 (26 reviews)

Company Overview:


Company History: Premera Blue Cross is non-profit organization which provides health insurance and related services to more than 1 million members in Alaska and Washington. The company, which traces its beginnings to 1933, has a market share of 60% in Alaska and 30% in Washington. Premera Blue Cross and its ultimate parent (Premera) as well as its subsidiaries provide a range of health insurance offerings including traditional indemnity, PPO and HMO plans and dental, vision, medicare supplement and long term care coverage. A subsidiary (Lifewise Assurance) provides life, accident, disability and related plans. Another subsidiary provides third party administrator services. Through subsidiaries, Premera has additional operations in Oregon and Arizona and is party to a joint venture to provide back office operations to emerging health insurance companies in China. About 84% of Premera Blue Cross’s direct premium for 2006 came from Washington and the remaining 16% came from Alaska.
Principle Sales Methods: Agents, brokers, and direct offerings by mail, telephone and Internet.

Health Business: Premera Blue Cross is non-profit organization which provides health insurance and related services to more than 1 million members in Alaska and Washington. The company, which traces its beginnings to 1933, has a market share of 60% in Alaska and 30% in Washington. Premera Blue Cross and its ultimate parent (Premera) as well as its subsidiaries provide a range of health insurance offerings including traditional indemnity, PPO and HMO plans and dental, vision, medicare supplement and long term care coverage. A subsidiary (Lifewise Assurance) provides life, accident, disability and related plans. Another subsidiary provides third party administrator services. Through subsidiaries, Premera has additional operations in Oregon and Arizona and is party to a joint venture to provide back office operations to emerging health insurance companies in China. About 84% of Premera Blue Cross’s direct premium for 2006 came from Washington and the remaining 16% came from Alaska. Premera’s network includes about 35,000 physicians and other health care providers, as well as more than 190 hospitals. Individual plans account for about 10% of total membership.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption