Personal Property Large Loss Claim.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Oxnard, CA

Asked on 12/03/2013

Personal Property Large Loss Claim. Entire content of home contaminated with Asbestos, All items inventoried and then destroyed. Inventory company provided vauge discriptions for Items on Inv sheets and photoed only a few items, most of which were piled on floor. Insurance company hired an appraiser after the fact to assess items, Using only the info above. No fields for year bought or condition on inv sheets. How can appraiser justify assessment. And will the previous three appraising company assessments done be made available (is it madatory) to give us copies of said? REF Insurance code : Section 2051(b)(2) & Ins. Code sec. 2071)

Answer given on March 02, 2014

If you suffered a loss that involved asbestos, and the claim is covered by your insurance company, then the property would need to be disposed of in the manner required by law. This includes bagging the property and your name would be assigned to the property. The location of the property should be known by someone – either the original adjuster or the new adjuster as well as the insurance company.The year of purchase of the property should not be an issue since most insurance policies include replacement cost coverage. This would mean the insurance company will pay for the cost of new property of the same, or similar nature and materials. As long as the adjuster has a list of the actual property then they may be able to determine the replacement cost.Often times the insurance company will pay you a depreciated value of the property until you actually replace it. You are then expected to provide a receipt for the new property and the adjuster will pay the difference between what was originally paid and the new property.Copies of the assessed items should be available to you if needed, but that should not be an issue to you unless you feel items were left off the list.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption