Personal Policy or Commercial Policy?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Liberty Township, OH

Asked on 02/15/2019

Personal Policy or Commercial Policy? Car owned/registered personally by me in OHIO, garaged at gated community condo in FL. Condo owned by LLC (myself and 2 of my siblings), but not a rental property. We keep the car in FL to use during our visits. Used

Answer given on February 15, 2019

Car insurance should be written in the name of the registered owner. If you own the car personally, it should be insured in that manner. However, if the car is garaged in Florida, it should be insured in Florida, even if you live most of the time in Ohio. 

Each state has different laws and rules regarding car insurance so it is best to insure it in that state since that is where it is normally used. Also, some states are known as “no fault” states, and their rules are very different from other states. You can drive to other states, obviously, but insure it where it spends most of its time.  You should also list any regular driver of the car on the insurance policy, since some insurance policies only cover the car if used by a listed driver.  Discuss all of this with your insurance agent or insurance company to be sure you are properly insuring it and yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption