Overcharged on auto insurance. Can we get a refund?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chattanooga, TN

Asked on 03/24/2013

Overcharged on auto insurance. Can we get a refund? My son was driving our car in 2008 when it was wrecked by a blowout. Our insurance company had my husband listed as the driver and our insurance went up $1200 a year. When my husband talked to our agent about getting our premium lowered, he mentioned that the wrong drivers name was on their records. Our insurance dropped the $1200/year immediately. Can we get back the $4800 we were overcharged?

Answer given on March 25, 2013

If you were overcharged on your insurance due to a rating error by the insurance company, you are entitled to a refund for the time period involved. You should ask your agent to contact the company to arrange the refund.Some insurance companies are reluctant to go back four years, but there was no way you would have known about the rating error, since the policy usually does not provide the information in layman’s terms.If the insurance company does not want to go back to the start of the error, you should first ask to speak to a supervisor. If that is not successful you may need to contact the Dept of Insurance to assist you in getting the appropriate refund.It is always in the best interest of the policyholder to review their insurance with the agent at least once every two years, or even every year. You may be missing out on discounts or changes that can save you money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption