need insurance on car in my name. Niece has been driving and has tickets and collisions

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Sugar Land, TX

Asked on 05/16/2012

need insurance on car in my name. Niece has been driving and has tickets and collisions 19 years old. state farm is cancelling policy.

Answer given on May 18, 2012

If you have had insurance on your car with an insurance company and they are going to cancel you due to the driving record of your niece you have some options. You could stop allowing your niece to drive your car. If you decide to do that, you will need to tell your insurance company and they will have you and your niece sign an exclusion saying there is no insurance coverage if she drives the car.You could try to find another insurance company that will write the insurance on the car, with your niece as a driver. There are insurance companies which specialize in drivers with bad driving records, but the insurance is not cheap. If you choose this option, you should make your niece pay a part of the insurance premium, since she is the cause of your problem.Finally, you could put the car in your niece’s name and have her obtain her own insurance and you get another car. Your insurance company may allow you to keep your insurance on a different car if your niece has her own car and insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption