My stove cord caught fire. Should the insurance company send an appliance person out to see what the problem is?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Woodland, CA

Asked on 11/10/2011

My stove cord caught fire. Should the insurance company send an appliance person out to see what the problem is? The cord to my gas range caught fire and did smoke damage. The insurance company's electrician said it was a problem with the stove. The insurance company has not said anything about having an appliance repair person look at the stove. The contractor says all they need to do regarding the stove is replace the cord. Are they doing this to avoid replacing the stove?

Answer given on November 12, 2011

Your homeowner insurance policy pays you for sudden and accidental damage to your home and personal property, less your deductible. In this case, the insurance company will pay for the smoke damage to your home. If the stove cord is the cause of the damage, this would be more in line as a maintenance issue. It is not the insurance company’s responsibility to send out an appliance repair person.You should ask a repair person to come out. If the contractor is correct, and that all you need is a new cord, this would be your responsibility. However, if the repair person determines there is damage to the stove due to the fire, then the insurance company will pay to replace the stove. You will need to contact your adjuster if it is determined the stove needs to be replaced. A written statement from the repair person may be needed by the adjuster, since the contractor does not feel the stove needs to be replaced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption