My storage house was damaged by a windstorm. It was old and I’m afraid the insurance company won’t pay to repair it, what do I do? It’s covered.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from San Antonio, TX

Asked on 09/08/2010

My storage house was damaged by a windstorm. It was old and I’m afraid the insurance company won’t pay to repair it, what do I do? It’s covered. NULL

Answer given on September 11, 2010

The homeowner policy includes coverage for detached structures, such as your storage house.  The standard policy provides for replacement cost,up to the limits shown for the building.  The age of the structure does not affect the insurance protection.  However, if the building was run down, there could be an issue in repairing or replacing the building.

Your agent should help you in reporting the claim.  However, the adjuster is the person you will be working with on this.  He/she will determine the cost to repair or replace the building, less your deductible.  If you don’t feel the amount offered is sufficient, work with a contractor or builder to get their estimate for repairs.  The adjuster will cooperate if you provide accurate information for the increased settlement request.  Keep in mind the amount available from the policy.  The adjuster cannot pay more than that limit

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption