My son was in a dirt bike wreck on our land .Went to ER who pays auto or health insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Stockbridge, MI

Asked on 02/10/2017

My son was in a dirt bike wreck on our land .Went to ER who pays auto or health insurance? NULL

Answer given on February 16, 2017

You indicated that your son had a dirt bike accident. If it was a solo accident, and you have medical payments coverage on the policy, a claim can be filed under that insurance. It is most likely that you didn’t have a separate insurance policy for the dirt bike, if it is not registered for the street. If that is the case then your health insurance should be used for the injury. If you had to go to the emergency room there is usually a deductible or co pay for that. If you just go to your doctor for the injuries, then your regular health insurance should cover his injuries, less the co pay under your insurance.Your homeowner insurance will not cover the injuries since he is a member of the household, and the liability and medical payments coverage does not cover household members. If there was another vehicle involved, then their insurance could pay if they were responsible for the accident and injuries

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption