My son was an excluded driver on my policy with license and my permission to drive my car. He had an accident and now the insurance will not pay!

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Atmore, AL

Asked on 02/27/2013

My son was an excluded driver on my policy with license and my permission to drive my car. He had an accident and now the insurance will not pay! I can not afford to have my car fixed and pay a car note. What will be my next step?

Answer given on February 27, 2013

If your son was an excluded driver under your auto policy, and you agreed to and signed the agreement, the insurance company has no responsibility to handle the accident.Even though you gave your son permission to drive the car, you and he were aware of the exclusion. You should not have allowed him to drive the car.if another car was involved the you will be responsible for their repairs as well as your own repairs. Your son could also be facing charges for driving without insurance.You should ask your son to pay for the repairs to your car since the accident was his fault. You need to also be sure that you do not allow him to drive your car again, since the insurance company will not be adding him as a driver any time soon. They may also decide to cancel your coverage since you violated the agreement with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption