My landlady hit my car when it was parked in front of our house. Should I tell my insurance company so that they can go after her?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Minneapolis, MN

Asked on 10/06/2015

My landlady hit my car when it was parked in front of our house. Should I tell my insurance company so that they can go after her? My landlady scratched my parked car when she was parking in front of our house. I got a few repair estimates, and they were all over $1,000. Should I tell my insurance company so they can demand that she pays for it? Or will it raise my deductible/bill?

Answer given on October 06, 2015

If your car was parked and struck by your landlady, she should file a claim with her insurance company to pay for the repairs. You can have her pay for the damages out of her pocket, but since the damage is so high, she is better off to go ahead and file a claim. If she has admitted that she caused the damage this should be a simple issue. If she refuses to file a claim under her policy, or denies causing the damage, you can file a claim under your car insurance policy. Since the damage was due to no fault of your own, your rates will not be affected by filing a claim under your own policy. However, the deductible on your policy will apply until the insurance company can get reimbursement from her insurance company. If she fights the claim, it could take some time to get the reimbursement. Of course, if you do not have collision coverage, then you will need to go through her insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption