My car was impounded by police for no insurance. Is there anyway i can get it out without insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Garden City, MI

Asked on 01/06/2012

My car was impounded by police for no insurance. Is there anyway i can get it out without insurance? The car is in both me and my grandma's name. I am trying to get the car back without her knowledge.

Answer given on January 07, 2012

If your car was impounded for lack of insurance, you most likely will not be able to recover it without showing proof of insurance. You need to contact the police department that impounded the car and see if they will release it without proof of insurance. They will also most likely send a letter that the car was impounded, so your grandmother may already have the notice that the car was taken if she is on the title and the address is her mailing address.The longer the car is impounded the higher the costs to get it released. Your best solution is to contact an insurance company immediately and try to get insurance placed on the car. All you need is the minimum liability limits for your state. You do not need to add physical damage. You can add that later if you wish, but this resolution will work out to be the least expensive solution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption