My car was burglarized and i have a deductible question

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Norman, OK

Asked on 04/22/2014

My car was burglarized and i have a deductible question My car was burglarized and in the process he caused several hundred dollars in damage, am I responsible for the deductible if the damage exceeds the deductible amount? I have haven't ever made a claim and neither have my parents in the almost 10 years we have had progressive.

Answer given on April 29, 2014

Auto insurance covers damage to the car due to vandalism or burglary if you are carrying comprehensive insurance. The deductible will apply to the damage to the car and the insurance company will reimburse you for the additional damage. You can choose where to get the car repaired, but the insurance company will offer suggestions, if you ask.If there was property taken from the car that is not part of the car, then you must file a separate claim for that damage or theft through your homeowner or renters insurance. That policy too has a deductible, and you will have to pay that before the insurance will respond. Make sure that the amount you will collect is worth filing a claim under the homeowner insurance, since a claim can cause your homeowner rates to go up. The claim on the auto will not affect your rates.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption