My aunt wants my dads death certificate.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Arvilla, ND

Asked on 02/02/2012

My aunt wants my dads death certificate. Her husband whch was my dads brother recently passed away. She said that her husband had my dads name as the beneficiary of the life insurance. They will not issue the money without my dads death certificate. Who gets the money? Does she or do I? She lives in Minnesota and I live in North Dakota.Thanks for your assistance.

Answer given on February 03, 2012

The person that is named on the life insurance policy as the beneficiary is the person that gets the life insurance.  Since that is your father and your father is decease, the money would go to the estate of your father.  Did your father have a will?  Did he have an executor? If so, have the executor contact the life insurance company. If not, then the money would be issued to the estate and then any heirs to that estate would be entitled to the money.  Contact the insurance company that has the life policy and ask how they will handle the payout as you are the daughter of the decease beneficiary.  You can also talk with a Will or Estate Attorney in your state to get more information on the laws in North Dakota and how this will be handled.  To find a lawyer in your area, you can click here.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption