Is there such a thing as a short term (2-3 days) homeowner’s rider to cover personal injury liability and property damage?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Arnold, CA

Asked on 01/09/2012

Is there such a thing as a short term (2-3 days) homeowner’s rider to cover personal injury liability and property damage? If for a 2-3 day period I have up to 6 volunteers trimming trees that are on my property and near my dwelling structures, and have them cutting and loading firewood to donate to charity, is there a short term (2-3 day period) homeowner's rider I can take out to cover the possibility of personal injury to one or more of the volunteers and to cover possible property damage to my structures?

Answer given on January 11, 2012

You might want to contact your present insurance company or agent and ask about this special circumstance to see what they would suggest and if your insurance company has anything within your state that you could get as a special rider.  Your homeowners insurance already has liability coverage built in, along with Medical Payments to Other which coverage medicl bills.  You may want to increase these coverages.  I would suggest you talk these plans out with your agent thoroughly so he or she can explore any coverage gaps that may exisit.  You may need to have a lawyer to create a form which each volunteer sign holding your harmless for any injury or damages.  Also consult a lawyer for applicable state laws in your state.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption