Is my daughter covered under my car insurance even I don’t put her on my police?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Long Grove, IL

Asked on 03/01/2016

Is my daughter covered under my car insurance even I don’t put her on my police? My former husband is claiming I don't have to put our kids on my car insurance policies because I'm insuring the cars not the kids....but I don't think that is

Answer given on March 12, 2016

If you have a daughter who lives with you, is licensed and drives your car, even occasionally, you should add her to your insurance policy.If she has her own car and insurance, then you do not need to add her, since she has her own insurance coverage. If your former husband is listing her on his insurance policy, then you do not need to add her, since she would be covered under his policy.If she causes an accident in your car, even if she is not listed but is insured elsewhere, your insurance would pay for any injuries or damages. Having said this, make sure your insurance company does not exclude drivers if they are not listed on the policy.In a summary, your daughter needs to be insured somewhere if she is licensed and driving. Duplicate coverage is not required, but she does need to be covered by some policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption