Is it leagal?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cairo, OR

Asked on 09/29/2011

Is it leagal? I am an oregon resident and the accident ok involved and idaho resident and the accident occured in idaho. The other driver would like to solve the matter with out insurance companies and has stated that he will only pay for the damage to the vehicle if I take it to a body shop and he will pay the body shop directly. Myunderstanding is that I dont have to fix the car right now but he cant make me take it to the shop. Is this legal? Also the insurance he has refuses to open a claim for me is this legal as well?

Answer given on September 29, 2011

The driver at-fault would owe you for the damages to your vehicle. You can present him with an estimate for repair. If you would like to give him two or three estimates from different body shops and he take the lowest, than that would at least prove the estimates are in line. You are not obligated to get your car repair at this time or at any time. Nor do you have to wait for him to report it to his insurance company. You can do that yourself by calling the insurance company and advising them you were involved in an accident with one of their policyholders. If he refuses to give you the name of insurance company, check the police report from the accident. They would have asked him for this information at the scene. If the police was not called, perhaps you should file a report with the police now advising that you are in need of a police report in order to give to the insurance company when you file your insurance claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption