Insurance covers sewer on my property, but I am liable for damages in the road. Shouldn’t this be covered?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Harwinton, CT

Asked on 01/22/2016

Insurance covers sewer on my property, but I am liable for damages in the road. Shouldn’t this be covered? My policy covers sewer damages on my property. However, I have a collapsed pipe and the plumber estimates the collapse is 50 feet from the house. This puts it somewhere in the road. According to my city, I am responsible for fixing this, including excavation costs and re-paving the road. Since the city feels I "own" half the road, shouldn't this be covered under my policy?

Answer given on January 24, 2016

Homeowner insurance covers your home and personal property for direct physical loss to the home and contents. There are exclusions and limitation, but in general the home is protected against all losses except those which are specifically excluded. These exclusions include earthquake, flood, war, landslide and mudslide and intentional damage. Each homeowner policy lists the coverages and exclusions. You should review your policy so you understand how it protects you.There is some coverage for sewer damage, but it must be damage to the home itself, less the deductible on your policy. There is no coverage to repair the pipe if it leaks or collapses. Nor is there coverage for damages from your home to the main sewer. It is your responsibility to repair the pipe between the home and connection.If you have a home warranty there could be coverage under that policy. Contact that company to inquire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption