I’m renting and had dropped coverage on my vehicle the tree in the front yard big limb fell and hit my vehicle my landlord said his house insurance wo

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Independence, MO

Asked on 05/20/2013

I’m renting and had dropped coverage on my vehicle the tree in the front yard big limb fell and hit my vehicle my landlord said his house insurance wo NULL

Answer given on June 17, 2013

If a tree limb falls on your car, the comprehensive portion of your car insurance generally covers your car.Tree limbs are generally considered an act of God so a homeowner is not normally responsible for the damage caused. If there was a storm at the time, that would make it less likely the homeowner is responsible.However, if you or someone had told the homeowner that the limb was a danger, or that the tree was sick or dying, then there could be responsibility by the homeowner for the damages. You can try to talk to the homeowner insurance company to see if they will accept liability for the damage to your car. You can also ask the property owner if they will file a claim under “property damage to others”. This generally has a limit of $500, but the homeowner does not have to be proven negligent for this coverage to apply. It will usually not affect the rates of the property owner, but they should find out if it will or not.Without proof of negligence by the property owner, you will most likely not be able to collect for the damage to your car, unless they are willing to make the claim as outlined above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption