Im an International student from the Bahamas attending Harvard University I want to to get a new car but will I be insurable?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cambridge, MA

Asked on 01/26/2017

Im an International student from the Bahamas attending Harvard University I want to to get a new car but will I be insurable? My dad wants to get me a new car, but I don't have an American License, I have a Bahamian Drivers license. Will that be acceptable to the insurance company, this would only be temporary as I believe I am required to get an American license within the first 365 days. I am 18 years old.

Answer given on January 28, 2017

Each insurance company determines whether they will insure someone who does not have a US driver’s license in their own way. Some will agree to write a policy without a US license, as long as the applicant gets a license within a certain period of time. You say you have 365 days to get it, but the insurance companies may not feel that way, since, I believe your driving experience involves driving on the opposite side of the road than in the US. This can be a concern to the insurance company.There are several specialty auto insurance companies who will write a policy for someone without a US license. That is the most likely source for your situation due to your age, driving experience and licensing. You need to find an insurance company before you buy a car as you may need extra time to obtain the insurance. There may also be a “standard” insurance company which will consider your application, but they may need proof of your driving record at your previous residence, such as an MVR.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption