if my laptop was stolen out of someone else’s car, can i file an insurance claim with my own insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mountlake Terrace, WA

Asked on 06/26/2012

if my laptop was stolen out of someone else’s car, can i file an insurance claim with my own insurance? NULL

Answer given on June 26, 2012

When property is stolen, even if in someone else’s home or car, you can file a claim for your stolen property.Before filing a claim, be aware of your deductible on your homeowner insurance policy. This will apply to the loss. In addition, you may lose a claim free discount on your homeowner insurance which can be as much as 15%, or even more. Be sure that the amount you will receive for the loss is worth the loss of this discount. If you have been with your insurance company for a long period of time then you may not lose the discount, but check this out with your agent or insurance company.It is possible that you have a special policy that covers items such as laptops on a separate basis. This is referred to as a personal articles policy. If you have this policy, the deductible is usually lower and the item is covered for pretty much anything that happens to it. There is usually no claim free discount on these policies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption