if my ins. co. doesn’t provide and FR-44 can I keep my current ins. co. and get and FR-44 somewhere else?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cutler Bay, FL

Asked on 08/18/2010

if my ins. co. doesn’t provide and FR-44 can I keep my current ins. co. and get and FR-44 somewhere else? i recently got a DUI and am required to get 100/300 coverage with and FR-44. I have the coverage but my insurance company doesn't deal with FR-44. can I get an FR-44 somewhere else and keep my current insurance provider?

Answer given on August 19, 2010

The short answer to your question is “no”.  An insurance company that provides the FR44 is telling the Dept of Motor Vehicles that they are providing liability insurance for a specific driver.  If you have your insurance with one company and have another company verify that you are insured.

While many insurance companies do not want to, or like to, provide an FR44, they really have to provide one if you are their insured.  While states vary on their laws, the insurance company needs to provide the necessary form.  They may be able to cancel your insurance, either now or at renewal due to your ticket, but until they do they need to provide the necessary form.

Please talk to your insurance agent and have them work with the insurance company to provide this form.  I do not recommend cancelling your insurance.  If the company wants to cancel, have them take the action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption