If my domestic partner gives birth to a child after being artificially inseminated by a donor, can I add a child rider to my policy that covers that child?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You must be the legal parent or guardian of any child you want added as a child rider on your life insurance policy. So if you become an adoptive parent of the child your domestic partner gives birth to or if you are legally named as guardian then you will be able to add a child rider to your life insurance policy. If this is not the case, you may still be able to be the owner of a life insurance policy for the child if you can prove insurable interest. Your insurance company may require legal documents indicating that you have custody of the child in order to allow you as policy owner.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption