If my car was parked in my friends driveway and a tree fell on it during a storm is there homeowners responsible.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Milford, PA

Asked on 06/10/2011

If my car was parked in my friends driveway and a tree fell on it during a storm is there homeowners responsible. NULL

Answer given on June 13, 2011

If a tree falls on your car, even in a friends driveway, the loss is usually considered an “act of God”, or an accidental loss.  If the tree was considered healthy, then there is no negligence on the part of your friend, so they would not be responsible for the damage to your car.

Your auto insurance, under the comprehensive coverage, would pay for the damage to your car, less the deductible.  This type of loss does not increase your insurance rates, so you should feel comfortable in submitting this claim to your insurance company.

If you do not have comprehensive coverage, you could possibly get a small amount from your friend’s homeowner policy under the damage to property of others portion (in the liability section).  There is no requirement of negligence under this coverage, but it is very limited – usually $500 to $1,000 coverage.  Talk to your friend and/or his insurance agent about this possible claim.  If the claim is paid, it shouldn’t affect your friend’s rates, but they should confirm this with their insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption