If I was to drive a truck where the title is in my mothers name would she then be liable if I were to get in to an accident.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Boscawen, NH

Asked on 08/21/2012

If I was to drive a truck where the title is in my mothers name would she then be liable if I were to get in to an accident. The truck is not insured and I live in my mothers house with my step father. Because I live in there house and the title is in my mothers name would any liability fall in her hands if I were to get in to an accident? Could someone potentially go after my parents even though i got in to the accident? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Answer given on August 22, 2012

Auto insurance follows the car, not the driver. Therefore, if you are driving your mother’s car and cause an accident, then she would be responsible for the damages in the accident. If the truck is not insured, then you and your mother could face fines and tickets for not having the truck insured.You should obtain insurance on the truck in the name of your mother. You can be listed on the policy as a driver and then you would have the proper insurance needed for the truck. If you are listed on the policy then your driving record would have an effect on the rates charged for the policy. It makes no difference who pays for the insurance, so you could pay for it even if it is in your mother’s name. You could also transfer ownership to you and buy a policy in your name. This would avoid your mother having any liability for an accident caused by you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption