If I was involved in an accident where I got rear ended with only liability insurance and the company of the person who hit me would have to pay?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bedford Park, IL

Asked on 09/29/2011

If I was involved in an accident where I got rear ended with only liability insurance and the company of the person who hit me would have to pay? How much do they pay if the car was totaled? How do you get them to pay the total value of the car?

Answer given on October 01, 2011

If you were rearended in an accident, the general rule is that the other party is responsible for the damages. Their insurance company will pay for damages to your car and if you were injured will pay for your injuries. The other company should be in touch with you to review the damages to your car. They may send out an adjuster, or simply have you go to a repair facility to get an estimate. The insurance company will determine if your car is a total loss or not. If it is considered a total, they will present an offer to you for your car.If you feel the amount offered is not enough, it is your responsibility to provide proof that your car was worth more. You can do so with listings of a similar car for sale at a higher amount. You should be sure you are getting the best offer you can.If the car is not considered a total, then they will pay for the damages to your car as well as provide you with a rental car while your car is being repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption