If I live in an apartment, and have Liability on a Renters Insurance policy, am I responsible for damages to all extent?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Stafford, VA

Asked on 05/25/2012

If I live in an apartment, and have Liability on a Renters Insurance policy, am I responsible for damages to all extent? i was away from the apartment, and a supply line burst, and flooded 2 floors below me, plus my apartment. the Regional Manager says I am responsible, because it happened in my apartment while I was away.

Answer given on May 25, 2012

If you have a home or renters insurance, the policy includes liability coverage if you are negligent and cause damage to another person’s property. In the case of a water supply line breaking, there would have to be proof of negligence. Since you do not own the property, and it is not your responsibility to maintain the property, it is unlikely that you would be considered negligent in this case. However, it is best if you report the incident to your insurance company. They will investigate and determine if there was negligence or not. If not, they will deny the claim from the other parties and the property manager. If you are still sued by someone, your insurance company will defend you in court, and if there is a judgement against you, they would pay.Let your insurance company handle this case and if someone calls you, refer them to your insurance company or the adjuster and let them handle it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption