if I have paid the contractor and full amount of the contract and insurance company over paid the amount can I keep the money or give it to contractor

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cheltenham, MD

Asked on 06/11/2013

if I have paid the contractor and full amount of the contract and insurance company over paid the amount can I keep the money or give it to contractor my roofing contractor States I owe them more money but I pay them the full amount of the contract but the insurance company gave more money than the contract required. Can I still keep that money they insist that I owe them the money. I need help

Answer given on June 17, 2013

If you worked out a settlement for damages to your home and your insurance company made the check payable to you, and not your contractor, then it is your responsibility to pay the contractor.If you have a copy of the bid from the contractor for the repairs showing the amount to be the amount you have already paid them, they must show a reason for the cost being increased. If they can provide this increase, then you will owe this amount to the contractor. If the amount owed is equal to the overpayment you think you received from your insurance company, then you must use those funds to pay the contractor. If there is an additional amount due from the insurance company, you should discuss this with your adjuster to try to get some additional funds.If you do not work out a settlement with the contractor, they may place a lien on your home until they are paid. Discuss the overcharge with them and settle this before it becomes a legal issue between you and them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption