If I am insured on a car and drive another car that is not insured, do I still get a ticket?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 07/25/2014

If I am insured on a car and drive another car that is not insured, do I still get a ticket? I recently got a ticket for no insurance on a friends borrowed car but later found out my mom has me insured for her car. (Moms car) Can I fight it in court or am I guilty regardless?

Answer given on July 26, 2014

If you received a ticket for being uninsured, you may be able to fight the ticket if you have not already paid the ticket. If you can prove you had insurance through your mother’s policy, and that her policy would cover you in another car other than hers, you are legally able to prove insurance while driving, even though the car you were in was uninsured.Contact the court for a date to bring in proof of insurance for you. The proof of insurance can be an insurance card, or, in some cases, a copy of the insurance policy showing you listed as a driver. Your name must be shown on the evidence you are providing, not just your mother’s name.Presuming you were stopped for another reason than to see if there was insurance on the car you were driving, you will still be responsible for the ticket that you received for being stopped. You can only get the portion of no insurance removed from your record.In the future, make sure that any car you are borrowing has insurance on it because if you are in an accident, and the car is not insured, then your mother’s policy will be responsible for any damages or injuries that you may cause in an accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption